December 17, 2014

New York, NY

Dear friends and family,

It's official: I'm back in the United States! On December 8 I returned from the whirlwind journey otherwise known as the Semester at Sea Fall 2014 Voyage.

It's been strange coming back. First off, everyone speaks English. We did not have to fight our cab driver in broken syllables for a fair fare on the way to the airport. Also, they give you free water at restaurants here right as you sit down - a pleasant and welcome surprise. Strangely enough though, no one seems to want to let me pay in euros, or rubles, or real. I guess I'll just have to dig around for some US dollars now that I'm back.

The day after I returned, I sat in my bed at home, the same one I'd sat in before the whole trip even started. I looked around the room and thought - was that all a dream? I saw a bag of souvenirs - things like carved wooden figures, keychains, argan oil, artwork and chocolate, and thought nope, that stuff is real. But did I really ride a camel? Could I have danced the night away with a sixty-year-old Polish man in Gdansk? Would I really have jumped in a pool full of slime and kissed a slimy raw fish on Neptune Day? The memories seem impossible. I have to tell myself that it happened - and that it happened to me.

The Journey is Just Beginning

The last night of the voyage, my friends and I stayed up all night, unable to imagine that this incredible voyage was coming to an end. For the last week, we'd been eagerly anticipating going home and seeing friends and family, but also dreaming of material comforts like consistent wifi and Chipotle. But now... it was real. This was the end.

The final night we were sailing from the Bahamas (for a fuel refill) to Florida, and around 4:30 in the morning you could see the shore of Ft. Lauderdale with all its buildings and lights.
"Ah," I joked, "you can practically taste the freedom and democracy from here."
"That's America," my friends joked back cynically.

I think for a lot of people, the United States had always seemed like the greatest country on earth... until they visited 14 more, and realized that although the world is a big place, we, as people, are mostly the same. There's a spectrum of reactions to seeing different ways of life. Some of my friends have denounced America forever, seeing corruption, inequality, and materialism in place of "home." Others have embraced the privileges we are offered as Americans and respect their birthplace more than ever. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. Either way, we left knowing nothing but our home, but returned hungry for more culture, more experiences, more connections.

I thought I'd be ready for two solid weeks of peace, quiet, and a warm bed, but instead I'm fired up. I'm ready to go to India, to see Senegal and Ghana, to visit Greece and Egypt and Australia. You thought my travel blog was coming to a close, but it's just getting started.

Thank you, dear readers, for following the ups and downs of my trip abroad. I don't know if I say it enough, but it was really, truly special to know so many people were reading about my adventures. I had my friends and family with me through thick and thin. I hope you enjoyed the blog as well.


Much Love,

Nicole


***I promised in my first post that I would upload my SAS packing list now that I know what worked and didn't, so I will post that soon.

P.S. I know, you're dying to find out the final results of my official, scientific, global study of fried chicken. Have no fear - America, you are queen of fried foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment