October 2, 2014

Dublin, Ireland



Dear Stephanie (& Gary!),


Thank you so much for the recommendations for things to see and do in Dublin! It was super helpful planning-wise, and I think I managed to cross a few things off the list!


I had a great time exploring Trinity College, seeing The Book of Kells, and some of the churches in Dublin. I also visited Malahide Castle, the Leprechaun Museum (couldn't resist), and the Guinness Storehouse. And of course, I had a fun and safe time in Temple Bar.

One of the things my friends and I had been planning for Dublin was getting tattoos. Past SAS voyagers have gotten nautical themed tattoos as a way to commemorate this incredible journey, and we'd marked Dublin as the place to get ours.

Let me tell you about getting my tattoo.


After a wonderful first day of exploring the city and a casual night out of good-hearted age-appropriate fun, I woke up the next morning with a slight tickle in my throat. I was concerned but mostly nervous and excited because this was tattoo day and I had more important things to think about. I spent the morning touring Malahide Castle and then proceeding on to the Guinness Storehouse, increasingly concerned about what was transforming from a slight throat tickle into impending doom, aka the common cold.

I had a pleasant lunch and tour at Guinness and returned to the ship pre-tattoo for a quick nap. That's when everything descended at once: common cold hit food poisoning from lunch in a cruel, painful duel that left me lifeless in bed at only 4:30 on a Thursday afternoon.


My friends went to get tattoos, but sadly I was not among them.


The next day, emerging from my room like a bear from its cave, sick but determined not to waste another minute in Ireland, the opportunity presented itself again. A friend had yet to get her tattoo, and so we went together back to the same place.


Now, if you know me you probably know tattoos really aren't my thing. On this particular day, it was painfully obvious.


Imagine this: me, Nicole, with faux pearls, frumpy sweater set, virus-induced pink eye (Wikipedia tells me non-contagious pink eye is a common side affect of viruses/colds, so no need for alarm), tissue box in hand, in a tattoo shop at the back of a bar.


Not their typical customer.


Another thing you should know about me is that I'm not really a "comforter." That is, I'm extraordinarily awkward at comforting people in times of need. So here I am with my pack of tissues, my friend squeezing my hand like nobody's business, tears streaming down her face, and I'm totally out of my element trying to figure out what to say. The go-to "almost there!" and "doing great!" fell weakly from my lips in an unhelpful attempt to distract her from the pain.


So my friend (one of the strongest people I know) screamed and cried louder than I thought possible until the tattoo guy asked me to close the door because people were staring. And I stood there thinking: nope, this won't be me!


As you can see, the conditions weren't exactly ideal for a tattoo that day. But, honestly, they're not really my thing. Part of me wanted to get it because it's a thing that wild crazy teens do. Even writing that, I sound like a disapproving middle aged woman who judges kids and "newfangled" things.


I pretty much am that person. It's okay. 40 is the new 20.


Other than the debilitating virus that left me unable to leave bed for the majority of the trip, I had a lovely time in Ireland! Dublin is an awesome city, and I hope to return at some point.



Thanks again Steph for the good advice. I'm so glad I got to see you in August and I will keep in touch!


Love,


Nicole

3 comments:

  1. My Dear Nicole:

    I beg to differ on your comfort skills. You have ALWAYS been great at comforting me. I love this adventure you are on, but am holding my breath until you get back home. I thank God you created this blog so I can at least feel tethered.

    All love, all the time,

    Aunt Ree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl. This post had me hanging on the edge of my seat. I was like hell no she didn't get her first tattoo without me!/ at all really, cuz I know how you feel about tattoos. ��

    ReplyDelete