November 29, 2014

Barbados

Dear Williamson family,

When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of sitting around Aunt Karen's dining room table, catching up after a busy year over carrot ginger soup, turkey, stuffing, corn casserole, vegetables, and delicious desserts. I thought about sharing the traumatizing story of the Thanksgiving where I painstakingly slaved away in the kitchen attempting (and failing) to make the celebrated corn casserole, only to soon discover my Aunt Karen had left "eggs" out of the recipe she'd sent me. But I won't go into that story. It's still too soon.

I missed you all on Thanksgiving! It wasn't quite the same on the ship. In fact, we had class on Thanksgiving - it was a typical day at sea. However, I did have the chance to partake in something really special in Barbados, which is what I consider to be my true Thanksgiving this year.

I am thankful to have met my friend Akilah on Semester at Sea this fall. There aren't words to describe Akilah properly - spunky, maybe, but that doesn't cut it. Her parents and siblings live in Boston, but the rest of her family is from Barbados, and thus she is still very connected to the island. As hungry college students, our first question for Akilah was: 1). Are you going to visit your grandmother in Barbados? and 2). What time should we show up for dinner?

She did not disappoint. Not only did her grandmother invite us over for a meal, but the Armstrong family got together in what was a family reunion of sorts on behalf of Akilah's arrival, allowing us to join as honorary Armstrong's for the day.

The event was held in an open air establishment called "Doorless" Bar, and from our seats we could see aunts, uncles, and cousins emerging from cars with foil-covered trays of food. Each family member had made their own specialty dish, and they all greeted the six of us, Akilah's friends, warmly and enthusiastically as they carried heavy trays of food to the buffet table. Akilah greeted young cousins she'd never even met before and aunts and uncles she'd hadn't seen for years. We watched with a kind of voyeurism reserved for those who are truly homesick, but in truth we were genuinely, sincerely happy to see Akilah so happy.

I'm not ashamed to admit it - I led the buffet line. I dug into fresh rice, spicy curry, macaroni pie, Bajan lasagna, fried fish, shepherd's pie, cole slaw, potato salad, and - to my great surprise and pleasure - corn casserole. This truly was going to be Thanksgiving. We were with friends, our adopted family, and overloaded plates of good home-cooked food.

The best item on my plate was, hands down, the lasagna. It didn't taste like traditional lasagna - it was much sweeter, and saucier, and even had corn in it. Let me just say (with my greatest efforts not to sound pretentious, because that's not how I ever mean to be) I've been to Italy. I've had lasagna in Italy now, thanks to Semester at Sea. This was better.

After this spectacular lunch, the men began a loud, heated game of dominos that somewhat reminded me of games of bid whist back home, except terrifyingly more intense and intimidating. At the kid table (I didn't think I'd ever have to say those words again) the six SAS kids, along with Akilah's younger cousins, played a few rounds of Jenga, the game with stacked blocks. The kids were incredibly sweet, curious, and funny. We eventually began our own game of dominos, but the 7 and 11 year olds beat us so badly that us college students soon admitted defeat. I'd tell you the scores, but I think I'd rather save myself the embarrassment. Apparently an extra 10 years of life means nothing where dominos are concerned. I'll be practicing, though, Armstrong family - next time you see me, I'll be a pro.

I feel lucky to have been an Armstrong for the day. Even though I'd just met them that day, I felt like I'd just had Thanksgiving with family I'd known my whole life. Thank you, Akilah, for allowing me to be a part of that special moment.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Williamson and Perkins families! I am thankful for all of you.

In case you are wondering, there are KFCs all over Barbados, as well as a local chain called Chefette. I went with local chicken this time, and it was great - everything fried chicken should be. 

Happy Thanksgiving! Next stop Cuba.


Love,


Nicole
 

No comments:

Post a Comment